[yào]
[形]
(重要) important; essential
extremely important
緊要
an important matter [affair]
要事
[名]
(重要的內容) essential points; headline
outline; sketch; essentials
綱要
summary; abstract
摘要
capsule summary of a book
內容提要
note down the essential points
擇要記錄
[動]
(希望得到; 希望保持) want; ask for; wish; desire
All nations want peace.
各國人民都要和平。
Anyone without a ticket can ask her for one.
誰沒有票, 問她要。
I wish for a room.
我想要一個房間。
Artillery command post, please.
要炮兵指揮所。
She desired me to wait.
她要我等著。
(請求; 要求)ask [want] sb. to do sth.
The old man asked me to write a letter for him.
那位老人要我替他寫封信。
He wants you back to work.
他要你回去工作。
She asked me to go with you.
她要我陪你去。
(想要) want to; wish to
He wishes to talk to the mayor.
他要同市長談一談。
I'd like to say a few more words.
我還有幾句話要說。
(表示做某事的意志) want; have a desire for
He wants to learn Esperanto.
他要學世界語。
(須要; 應該) must; should; it is necessary [imperative, essential] that...
You must be careful as to what you say or do.
你說話做事都要當心。
We should learn from advanced workers.
我們要向先進工作者學習。
We must have faith in the masses.
要相信群眾。
(將要) shall; will; be going to
It is going to be dark soon.
天快要黑了。
It is going to rain.
要下雨了。
(需要) need; take
It takes two hours to get there.
到那里要兩個小時。
You don't need so many people for this job.
這活兒要不了這么多人。
It will take ten days to get the work done.
這項任務要10天才能完成。
(表示估計, 用于比較) might; must
It's colder today than yesterday.
今天要比昨天冷。
You must have had a much tougher time than we did.
你們要比我們辛苦得多。
[連]
(如果) if; suppose; in case
If it rains tomorrow, we won't go.
明天要下雨, 我們就不去了。
If he won't go, nor shall I.
他要不去, 我也不去。
If it hadn't been for him, we would have gone astray.
要不是他指引, 我們就迷路了。
In case I forget, please remind me about it.
我要忘了就請提醒我一下。
Suppose your father saw you, what would he say?
你父親要看見你, 他會怎么說?